.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

On the Fej

More on the Fej than you care to be. More on the Fej than you care to know.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What's Up With All the Nuclear?

There are two things that really freak me out. Well, technically three if you include computer-animated talking babies. But the two that really get me are garbage disposals and nuclear explosions. The first is just something I'm learning to deal with, but with the latter, I'm sure I'm not alone. So, what's with all the nuclear explosion action in the entertainment world? Is it really that entertaining?

This season's TV schedule is laden with the nuclear topic: Jericho, Heroes, 24... These are major network shows, so I can only assume there is a sizable audience. And I get it that people like to watch things that freak them out a little. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive. I don't like horror movies either. In general I don't like being scared. Happy, sad, stressed... those are emotions I can deal with. Scared is just something I don't need in my life. And Nuclear explosions scare me. Now that I think of it, maybe seeing The Day After at the ripe age of 11 had a negative effect.

I dig the Jack Ryan movies/books: Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games and such. But the Sum of All Fears just didn't do it for me. I know, you might saying: "But Fej, is that not just because of your natural aversion to Ben Affleck?"

I see what your saying and it is a possibility. But near as I can tell, the Affleck/Freeman saga, which involved a pretty serious nuclear explosion, is the stinkiest one of the Jack Ryan series. That is in terms of revenue at the box office and afterward. And I don't see plans for another Affleck/Clancy collaboration.

Seeing a spaceship take out the White House is one thing. It's a space ship, and it was a fun computer effect. Seeing a nuclear explosion take out Washington D.C. is pretty discomforting. Granted, it is still a crazy computer effect, but it is just a visual I don't want. I don't need to be desensitized to that. I can turn the channel to MSNBC to see about the latest plans of some crazy extremist somewhere trying to figure out how to make it happen for real.

Anyway, to all of you Hollywood producers: if you want a quick way to make me not watch your show or movie, involve a nuclear explosion. About the computer-animated babies: they will make me look the other way, but not necessarily change the channel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home