.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

On the Fej

More on the Fej than you care to be. More on the Fej than you care to know.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Don't tell the MPAA, but...

... I am making my own DVDs! It all started when I wanted to test the DVD-R burner on my computer. It seemed silly to use this DVD-R as a larger capacity CD-R. I wanted to do something I could only do with the 4.7 gig capacity disc. My office mate said this: "Hey, check out DVD Shrink."



Of course, I wanted to just make a copy of my Ocean's Eleven DVD, just to see if I could do it. But most prerecorded DVDs have two layers of data. So they have something like a 9.4 gig capacity. So to get the movie to fit onto a 4.7 gig DVD-R, you have to trim all of the extra stuff away and just make a copy of the movie. That's what DVD Shrink does.

So I put the Ocean's Eleven disc in my computer. DVD Shrink scanned the disc and showed me all of the files. I deselected all of the extra stuff I didn't need on the copy (you know, the French and Spanish subtitles, the extra scenes, the coming attractions, pretty much everything but the movie itself). That almost got it down to the size I needed. Then DVD Shrink reduced the file size just enough to fit on my disc. Awesome.

Then I heard about DVD Covers. It is this huge archive DVD Cover art. So, I can print cover art for the DVDs I am copying, er... making back ups.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home