.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

On the Fej

More on the Fej than you care to be. More on the Fej than you care to know.

Monday, June 06, 2005

A Partnership in the Making

So, first let me say that there are many things that I do not know. But for the sake of this post I am going to focus on this: I do not know how many DVDs Netflix purchases of new releases. For example, when The Aviator was released last Tuesday, I don't know how many copies they purchased to meet their subscribers' demands. Since they have more than 3 Million subscribers, I am going to be assume it is a substantial number.

Now you might remember that a few weeks ago Wal-Mart gave up on the mail-order
renting-DVDs thing. Wal-Mart actually partnered with Netflix, agreeing to refer customers to Netflix for online DVD rental, in exchange for a link on the Netflix site reminding people that they can buy new DVDs at Wal-Mart.

So here's my thought: What is Netflix doing with all of their previously viewed DVDs? Netflix does offer an opportunity to buy
previously viewed movies on their web site, but it's on a select group of titles. and I can't imagine they move a ton that way (of course, I'm sure it's more than I would guess). Are we going to start seeing bargain bins at Wal-Mart filled with previously viewed movies from Netflix? This would be a pretty smooth move, since Netflix could also stuff a coupon in with the movie for a discounted membership and Wal-Mart can cross sell new releases. The Netflix/Wal-Mart partnership door has been opened. There has got to be more action on the way.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home