.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

On the Fej

More on the Fej than you care to be. More on the Fej than you care to know.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Home Office = Lame

You know? When we moved into our house in 1999, we had this extra room. Most people would have used it as a guest bedroom or a workshop or, well, anything other than a home office. But me - no. I had this big-ass desk, I got book shelves, hung manly pictures on the wall and put my computer in the center of the desk like any intermediately technical person would do. While this did give me a great place to surf the internet (at dial-up speeds, thank you very much), I did little else in the room. It was essentially storage. Even though the room did little else that house my computer, I didn't have anywhere else in the house for it.

That was six years ago. Now, having owned only laptop computers for four years, the desk now serves as a resting place for my
Powerbook to charge. And the only time I sit at the desk is when I have let the battery get too low when there are still web pages I want to visit, or blog entries I want to write, or emails I just must return NOW!

So, here's the deal. Home office - gone. Of course I still need somewhere to put my printer, but I still have my
Allsop Metal Art Jr monitor stand for that. I need someplace tidy to leave the computer when it's charging. And on the occasion that I let the battery get too low, I might have to get the charger and plug it in while I'm sitting on the couch. I found this little desk: it's kind of like a old school secretary, as it has a front panel that folds down if you absolutely need a work space. Otherwise it serves as a resting place for the laptop, the cell phone, the digital camera. But the whole thing is only like four feet tall, and 16-inches wide. It's approximately 1/6 the size of my desk. It will fit in the corner and look like a coffee table or something. The bad thing is that I now I've seen it. It was on something like Crate and Barrel, or Pottery Barn or HoldEverything, but I can't find it anymore. So I'm on the prowl.

My new plans for this room?
Home theatre, baby. Flat panel. Recliners. Little refrigerator. Sweet.

NOTE: I try to be unique, but alas - I'm not alone. According to
cnet other people want laptops for their home offices, too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home